Sunday 20 July 2014

Sunday Morning French Toast

Sunday Morning  French Toaste




When I was little Sunday mornings were devoted to many things, but French toast was always the best part of the day.

My dad was the early bird in our home. I can remember hearing him around the kitchen whipping us up his delicious French toast. The whole house would smell like caramelized butter and cinnamon. He would roast each side of the bread  until it turned to a crispy and tender golden colour. Then my dad would serve me two generous helpings of french toast and I would pour Canada's famous maple sirup.

I have this image of myself; I am 8 or 10 years old, in my pyjamas, eating French toast on a stool at the counter. My parents are chattering away about the same old story,  how they were fortunate enough to own the recipe today. The story goes that they would have received the recipe from great chef  ;) Well until this day my dad has only given me the ingredients he has omitted the measurements. So here are the ingredients and well you will just have to eyeball the ingredients ... just kidding.

What you will need

3-4 Eggs

3/4 cups of Milk

1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon of Nutmeg

12 grain bread (local is best)

Mix in the eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and whisk together untill homogeny. Then dip each side of bread into the mixture and place into warm pan. (Don't forget to add butter in your pan before you place the French toast onto the pan)

For toppings:
  • One cup of Fresh blueberries  (I also added kiwis since I had some on hand. You can use any other fruit you have on hand).

  • Maple sirup 



* The original recipe topping called for apricot Jelly with powder sugar. It different and pretty good too. I encourage you to try it !!!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment